Notes from Megameeting 26th July 2010

Attendees

BruceAmbacher UM
MarkConrad NARA
RobertDowns CIESIN, Columbia University
HelenTibbo UNC
TerryLongstreth  

Summary

  • ACTION: DG: get DIN doc full text
  • ACTION: DG/JGG: press for action in ISO
  • ACTION: US folks: Identify possible test audit sites in US
  • ACTION: RD: Speak to HT about test audits
  • ACTION: DG: Add details of European Framework on wiki
  • ACTION: DG/JGG: CCSDS /ISO interface - get docs into ISO
  • ACTION: DG: MC funding issue

No meeting next week (26th July)

Transcript of chat Note that much of the discussion was via audio.

David Giaretta >> (All): test
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I can't hear yo
TerryLongstreth >> (All): u
David Giaretta >> (All): Can you hear me?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I hear you, can you hear me?
David Giaretta >> (All): No, not now
David Giaretta >> (All): test
TerryLongstreth >> (All): This this week will be a technology test
David Giaretta >> (All): test
TerryLongstreth >> (All): check volumne levels
RobertDowns >> (All): Hi
TerryLongstreth >> (All): You're coming through loud and clear
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I'm talking but not getting through
RobertDowns >> (All): I am glad to hear that that ESIP Meeting went well and appreciate that you were able to present.
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Yes indeedhy
TerryLongstreth >> (All): My talking is little better than my typing
TerryLongstreth >> (All): a decryption key?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): You said the doc was cryptic
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I may not be on line next week
TerryLongstreth >> (All): but you still can't hear me?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I'll reconnect to see if I can clear up my mic problem
Helen Tibbo >> (All): So I show up the week we're not having a meeting!
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I'm so in sync!
RobertDowns >> (All): I hear you, Helen
RobertDowns >> (All): I barely hear Terry
RobertDowns >> (All): Terry is loud now
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Here are the folks from the NDIIPP TRAC audit session: Micah Altman, Harvard UniversityJonathan Crabtree, University of North Carolina, Chapel HillNancy McGovern, University of Michigan, ICPSRDavid Minor, University of California San Diego, San Diego Supercomputer Center
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I also don't know what CRL has done with TRAC auditing - have you talked with Marie Waltz? I think they audited JSTOR and the HathiTrust
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Ah! 
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Starting with folks who have done some sort of practice audit might be good but we would also need to practice with repositories that have done none of this.
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Perhaps the TRAC predecessors could become a first or second level
RobertDowns >> (All): At CIESIN, we conducted a self-assessment using the TRAC, which we described in an article available at http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/article/view/753
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Can we codify the CIESIN process?
RobertDowns >> (All): Our next step will be to conduct the self-assessment using the ISO requirements.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Basic = Data Seal of Approval (Netherlands; 16 metrics; web form archives fills in; someone on a board looks at it); 2nd level - self-audit - use full RAC metrics; 3rd level - external RAC audit.
TerryLongstreth >> (All): 2nd level involves third party assessment of submission?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Sound like we need a business plan
TerryLongstreth >> (All): We did discuss the MOU.  Did you change it?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): We were expecting to have a copy of the DIN thing to reveiw
TerryLongstreth >> (All): You may not have noticed, but the cancelled meeting occurred anyway
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Thanks for the update.  
Mark Conrad >> (All): Yes.
Mark Conrad >> (All): The MetaArchive is the other group that is offering TRAC audits.
RobertDowns >> (All): What does Under development mean!
TerryLongstreth >> (All): It means ISO's given it a number
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Sounds like a little nudging will move it along.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I'll ask Jon Crabtree from Odum
Helen Tibbo >> (All): and Nancy McGovern from ICPSR
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Odum is the social science data archive at UNC
Helen Tibbo >> (All): yes
Helen Tibbo >> (All): they have played with both Drambora and TRAC
TerryLongstreth >> (All): David- Is it your sense that there should be a US subcommittee, to plan/layout/arrange and conduct the test audits over here?
RobertDowns >> (All): Based on our TRAC self-assessment, I can conduct a self-assessment of our repository using the draft ISO standard.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): yes
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I'm disconnected
RobertDowns >> (All): I work for Columbia University, which is not a federal agency
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Mark, can you think of any ready source of funds in the US?
Mark Conrad >> (All): No.
Mark Conrad >> (All): Getting funds for overseas travel is difficult.
Mark Conrad >> (All): Helen, If you are talking I do not hear you.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): So I have no idea if CRL has any money to invest for work for a US subcommittee or if they did what the ramifications would be,
Mark Conrad >> (All): Wasn't Bruce supposed to be looking into possibilities of funding? IMLS?
Helen Tibbo >> (All): If we were to get IMLS funding it wouldn't start until next summer. 
RobertDowns >> (All): That meeting seemed to work out well
Helen Tibbo >> (All): right
Mark Conrad >> (All): That will do it.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): How exciting!
Helen Tibbo >> (All): ;-)
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Tennessee is a far country
Mark Conrad >> (All): Action items? Are we meeting next week?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I'll be in Birmingham.
TerryLongstreth >> (All): al
TerryLongstreth >> (All): abama
RobertDowns >> (All): I will be traveling 
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I will be around next week but not the 2 following.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I'll talk with Jon (Odum) and Nancy (ICPSR) this week.
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION: DG/JGG: CCSDS /ISO interface - get docs into ISO
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I'm still eager to read the DIN metrics/audit documet
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION: DG: MC funding issue
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Richtig
Mark Conrad >> (All): Once the standard goes out for ballot it will be open for 5 months?
Helen Tibbo >> (All): So we really need to think of the business model. 
Helen Tibbo >> (All): We also need to consider potential partnerships - do we want to do all this by ourselves, i.e., all costs/profits, or do we want partners such as CRL, OCLC, or SAA.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Right. 
RobertDowns >> (All): How about a non-profit approach?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Doesn't UNC operate a creche with RTP?
Mark Conrad >> (All): SAA would have to solicit funds, wouldn't they?
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Oh SAA has no money but they might look to find some if they thought there was a profit stream in this fairly soon.
Mark Conrad >> (All): Legal advice is not cheap.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): There might well be a membership model/dues/certification fees, etc. some mixture of all this.
Mark Conrad >> (All): SAA might be an avenue for the training. That seems to be one of their main money trains?
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Yes. They could be a good site for training both repositories and auditors once we had a curriculum. That would be no risk to them.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): DLF is also being reconstituted by CLIR.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Digital Library Federation.
Mark Conrad >> (All): See you next week?
Mark Conrad >> (All): OK. See you then. Got to run. Bye.

-- DavidGiaretta - 02 Aug 2010

Topic revision: r1 - 2010-08-02 - DavidGiaretta
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2018 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback