Notes from Megameeting 14th June 2010

Attendees

BruceAmbacher UM
JohnGarrett GSFC
RobertDowns CIESIN, Columbia University
SimonLambert STFC
TerryLongstreth  

Summary

  • ACTION: DG: get DIN doc full text
  • ACTION: DG/JGG: press for action in ISO
  • ACTION: US folks: Identify possible test audit sites in US
  • ACTION: RD: Speak to HT about test audits
  • ACTION: DG: Add details of European Framework on wiki

No meeting next week (26th July)

Transcript of chat Note that much of the discussion was via audio.

David Giaretta >> (All): Hi Terry
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Good morning
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Hello.  My headset is not working.  Yopur voices through speaker
BruceAmbacher >> (All): What is in KNoexville?
BruceAmbacher >> (All): I'm going to leave and resign on
RobertDowns >> (All): Hi all
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Knoxville:  http://www.esipfed.org/meetings
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I think Bruce wanted an hyphen: re-signon
BruceAmbacher >> (All): I'm back but no difference.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Actually, Terry resigning might not be a bad idea!
TerryLongstreth >> (All): with my headset, the ear and mike connects are easy to reverse
RobertDowns >> (All): I can see you now
RobertDowns >> (All): Congratulations, David!
TerryLongstreth >> (All): What's the timeframe; I ask because I've been given a contract to sign to play Santa at a local shopping center.
TerryLongstreth >> (All): Last week we were looking for the DIN document
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION: DG: get DIN doc full text
BruceAmbacher >> (All): How will we reconcile the scale difference between the EU type audits of large scale scientific repositories and the US focus on a range of size/holdings/funding in a less centralized environment?
BruceAmbacher >> (All): As I understand the 3-level framework there is no recognition of self-audit,  Correct?
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Publish or make available for inspection?
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Is there a detailed protocol that backs up the MOU you signed?
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Can we develop a CD or wiki for the self-audit?  Would CCSDS make it an activity?  Over time we could include blind examples of how repositories met the metric
BruceAmbacher >> (All): we have a very "unfederated" system of digital repositories
BruceAmbacher >> (All): We also need some entity to put some force of law/recognition behind it.  We might be able to persuade a funding agency to assist.  My best guess would be IMLS,  NEH or NSF
BruceAmbacher >> (All): That could be accomplished by building the requirement into the Request for Proposal - the winning bidder must demonstrate it has complied with RAC.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): deposit in a publically availabe truustworthy repository
BruceAmbacher >> (All): NARA might be able to insert such a requirement - Bob Chadduck sits on the President's Science panel
TerryLongstreth >> (All): yes
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Did you capture that off the Australian reef?
BruceAmbacher >> (All): All of this would be easier if the ISO draft-RAC was circulating for comment.  Any sense of when that will happen?
TerryLongstreth >> (All): should we submit contributions for plan items to you?
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION: DG/JGG: press for action in ISO
BruceAmbacher >> (All): I will convey this rough timetable to the Socieyu of American Archivists and see if we can develop some publicity.  We also could re-engage CRL to see if they would seek a grant for this - if that is desirable
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Marie Waltz.  Yes they offered TRAC audits
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Also Bibliographic Center for Research - Liz Bishoff
RobertDowns >> (All): We might see a mini industry emerge.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): We need to light a fire under ISO to get RAC out there
BruceAmbacher >> (All): I thought CCSDS review was complete and awaiting ISO review comments
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION: US folks: Identify possible test audit sites in US
David Giaretta >> (All): US audits March/April 2011??
RobertDowns >> (All): So, self-audits should be completed during the winter to prepare for the test audits.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): How about Reagan Moore and DICE at UNC with Jelen?
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION: RD: Speak to HT about test audits
David Giaretta >> (All): IRODS and audit
BruceAmbacher >> (All): I will be on vacation next week
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION: DG: Add details of European Framework on wiki
TerryLongstreth >> (All): I'll check in next week
RobertDowns >> (All): Bye
David Giaretta >> (All): No meeting next week.
-- DavidGiaretta - 26 Jul 2010
Topic revision: r1 - 2010-07-26 - DavidGiaretta
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2018 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback