Notes from Megameeting 30th June 2008

Attendees:

BruceAmbacher UM
JohnGarrett GSFC
KatiaThomaz INPE, Brazil
MarkConrad NARA
DavidGiaretta STFC
HelenTibbo UNC
SimonLambert STFC
CandidaFenton HATII, U Glasgow
RobertDowns CIESIN, Columbia University
RiccardoFerrante Smithsonian Institution Archives

The meeting was a combination of chat and audio so the chat transcript (given below) is an incomplete record of the discussion.

Progress made:

Review of B3.4, B4.1

Actions:

  • DavidGiaretta : in B3.4 stop first sentence of supporting text after "of its holdings" and then add text to discussion to suggest some ways this may be done
  • MarkConrad - revise supporting text for B4.1 for 2 weeks time
  • David - Review text to check usage of policies/plans etc and suggest changes (unless there are too many!). Hierarchy should be Preservation Policies -> Preservation Strategic Plans -> Preservation Implementation Plans
  • David - In B4.1 delete "- and allow them to validate - " and append "and allow them to verify this"
  • ALL - complete outstanding actions

Outstanding Action Items from previous meetings:

  • All
    • Read the circulated B2. Rewritev2.doc document to ensure it accurately reflects the discussion of 16 June 2008.
    • Determine if the text in Rewritev2.doc document should replace the text on the wiki in the current working document.
    • Reread the current working document on the wiki at the 30,000 foot level.
    • Consider whether other sections of the document on the wiki should be rewritten in the style of B2. Rewritev2.doc.
    • Post comments for B.3.4 and all of B.4.
  • Bruce Ambacher and MarkConrad
    • Do a conceptual walk-through of an AIP creation to see if B.2 contains all of the mandatory requirements for AIP creation.
  • David
    • complete the analysis of B.3. vs Appendix

Matrix showed a clear preference for the current time/ day/ duration.

So for next time we will meet at the same day and time for a 90 minute session.

For next meeting: Everyone should complete their comments on B4 and B5.

BruceAmbacher >> (All): My suggestions for B2.1 is  add "in whole or part" to "been used, in whole or part, in creating . . ."
David Giaretta >> BruceAmbacher: Bruce - as far as I can see your verizon mail should work, as should the cox.net
David Giaretta >> (All): B3.4 - OK
RobertDowns >> (All): how about "to reflect the age of its holdings" for the last phrase of the sentence, to address David's concern.
KatiaThomaz >> (All): no objections
KatiaThomaz >> (All): me too
RobertDowns >> (All): me too
KatiaThomaz >> (All): yes
Riccardo Ferrante >> (All): It sounds like the point is that they demonstrate continued preservation activities that sustain their objects understandability for so long as the objects remain in their custody. Does this extend to provide evidence of a sustained commitment to do so into the future?
Riccardo Ferrante >> (All): Are we trying to specify the methodology by which effectiveness is achieved? Feels too prescriptive.
Riccardo Ferrante >> (All): no objections
BruceAmbacher >> (All): good
KatiaThomaz >> (All): in "preservation planning?
RobertDowns >> (All): no objections
BruceAmbacher >> (All): That's going away
KatiaThomaz >> (All): continuous understandability should be in "Archival storage & preservation/maintenance of AIPs"
David Giaretta >> (All): I think what we agreed was that in B3.4 stop first sentence of supporting text after "of its holdings" and then add text to discussion to shuggest some ways this may be done - ACTION David Giaretta
KatiaThomaz >> (All): ok
KatiaThomaz >> (All): i think they are different
KatiaThomaz >> (All): i vote to move
David Giaretta >> (All): Note for the record  - if we change the discussion in B3.4 then this would imply that it be moved to B4.
Mark Conrad >> (All): I vote to move it as well.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): They are.  If you move B3.4 to B4 you move it from repository-wide to specific objects
David Giaretta >> (All): Although the plans may be object specific
KatiaThomaz >> (All): i lost the audio
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Sounds good
KatiaThomaz >> (All): ok for me
BruceAmbacher >> (All): ok
RobertDowns >> (All): yes
candida fenton >> (All): Ok
Riccardo Ferrante >> (All): ok
BruceAmbacher >> (All): The note links it to B1.1
BruceAmbacher >> (All): agreed
KatiaThomaz >> (All): agreed
KatiaThomaz >> (All): ok
BruceAmbacher >> (All): ok
Helen Tibbo >> (All): ok
RobertDowns >> (All): ok
candida fenton >> (All): ok
David Giaretta >> (All): Note for the record: ACTION Mark - revise supporting text for B4.1 for 2 weeks time
KatiaThomaz >> (All): i think there is no distinction...
BruceAmbacher >> (All): policies implemented by plans which put strategies/actions into place
KatiaThomaz >> (All): we nees to check
KatiaThomaz >> (All): need
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Bruce we lost your audio
Mark Conrad >> (All): Bruce we cannot hear you
Helen Tibbo >> (All): You're coming in and out
Mark Conrad >> (All): Bruce we cannot hear you
BruceAmbacher >> (All): I am not transmitting now.  I was kicked out and rejoined
BruceAmbacher >> (All): We should state our hierarchy/usage the first time.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): We should state our usage the first time.
David Giaretta >> (All): Note for the record - ACTION ?? need to be clear about usage of policies, strategies and plans. Could be a discussion of this in the intro of B3
Mark Conrad >> (All): Agreed and have them in a glossary as well.
David Giaretta >> (All): Good point
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Will a technical editor help pick this up?
Mark Conrad >> (All): My view of the hierarchy Policies/Strategies/Plans.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Section A is full of policies and plans
BruceAmbacher >> (All): I need to reconnect, I lost much of John
David Giaretta >> (All): Note for the record - ACTION ; Preservation Policies -> Preservation Strategic Plans -> Preservation Implementation Plans
David Giaretta >> (All): ACTION - David - review text to check usage of policies/plans etc and suggest changes (unless there are too many!)
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Helen, Yes, but that is not "validate"
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Over time the rep[ository will have more knowledge and ability to do that than the designated community
RobertDowns >> (All): how about verify instead validate
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Audit has a very specific meaning in this document.  Verify is acceptab;le
David Giaretta >> (All): Robert - OK - move the phrase "and allow them to verify this" to the end of the sentence
KatiaThomaz >> (All): no objections
Riccardo Ferrante >> (All): none
candida fenton >> (All): none
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I think that is good and I agree the repository will know more about preservation of its content than any other group.
JohnGarrett >> (All): OK
David Giaretta >> (All): NOte for the record ACTION - delete "- and allow them to validate - " and append "and allow them to verify this"
BruceAmbacher >> (All): ok with change in B4.3
KatiaThomaz >> (All): ok
JohnGarrett >> (All): OK
RobertDowns >> (All): ok
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Should we add auditors to the list of people in each case
candida fenton >> (All): ok
David Giaretta >> (All): Helen - good point
BruceAmbacher >> (All): auditors implies the formal audit process.  Do we want that mixed in?  I think not
BruceAmbacher >> (All): David, Mark is suggesting same change (verify for validate) in B4.3 since I raised the same concern
David Giaretta >> (All): I think my audio has dropped out!
Mark Conrad >> (All): I think we need to discontinue the use of audio.
KatiaThomaz >> (All): the quality of audio was terrible today. we need to care about this...
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I've lost a lot of audio as well
David Giaretta >> (All): NOt sure what's going on
Riccardo Ferrante >> (All): as have I
KatiaThomaz >> (All): i must quit now.
KatiaThomaz >> (All): have a nice week. bye.
JohnGarrett >> (All): Bye Katia
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Mark, given the time should we deal with either B2 or the matrix on day/time?
candida fenton >> (All): Bye
JohnGarrett >> (All): So we meet same day/time next time?
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Let's discuss the matrix. The choices I put down are for now until Aug. 15 when classes start up again and I have a very different schedule.
Simon Lambert >> (All): Looks like Monday is the definite choice of day.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): Helen, do you know what you can do during the semester?
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Monday and Wednesday will be best during the semester
Mark Conrad >> (All): Looks like the current day and time are the  preferred.
David Giaretta >> (All): It looks as if the day, start time and duration should remain as is
BruceAmbacher >> (All): looks like the 3 matrixs are to stay with current day, time and duration
RobertDowns >> (All): I agree
JohnGarrett >> (All): OK
Mark Conrad >> (All): Ok.
Helen Tibbo >> (All): That's fine by me. My missing lately has been due to travel and a few ad hoc meetings
Helen Tibbo >> (All): In genreal this is a good time for me.
Mark Conrad >> (All): Action items for next time?
David Giaretta >> (All): It looks as if Katia will have some difficulties - sorry about that
Mark Conrad >> (All): I will not be here next week.
BruceAmbacher >> (All): join you next week, same day, time, duration
Mark Conrad >> (All): We still have action items from last week and the week before to cover.
JohnGarrett >> (All): Complete B4 and move to B5 next week?
Helen Tibbo >> (All): I should be able to join next week.
Mark Conrad >> (All): Someone else will have to "chair."
David Giaretta >> (All): I tried to note ACTIONs  in the chat - let's try to collect all outstanding actions onto one page - the WIki has a way!
Helen Tibbo >> (All): Bye
Mark Conrad >> (All): David did you complete the analysis of B.3. vs Appendix?
David Giaretta >> (All): So ACTION ALL - complete comments on B4 and B5
David Giaretta >> (All): Mark - mea culpa - will do it this week

-- DavidGiaretta - 30 Jun 2008

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2008-07-01 - SimonLambert
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2018 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback