Notes from MM 8 Feb 2007
4pm UK time using MegaMeeting
David and Don reported that the Charter will probably be presented to CCSDS at the end of Feb when we have collected more information on the effort available.
Additional committments were being recorded.
Review of Sub-Goals
- Review the existing work on audit and certification criteria for digital repositories, such as that from the RLG/NARA working group and the NESTOR project. These two documents are broadly similar, and both are based on the OAIS Reference Model.
- Prepare a draft (or adopt one of the above documents) and submit to ISO as a Committee Draft to get the ISO process going.
- Analyse the consistency of those works with the OAIS Reference Model (ISO 14721) and follow on standards such as PAIMAS and the forthcoming PAIS.
- Review existing audit and certification standards such as ISO 9000 and ISO 27000, and the requirements on such standards for supporting an accreditation and certification programme to obtain guidance on the form of this standard. Neither of these two standards audit the preservation of the encoded information, hence the need for a new standard.
- Generate and review options for hierarchies of audit requirements and levels of (or profiles for) certification. The RLG/NARA and NESTOR documents are rather simple checklists. A hierarchical structure or a profile approach could offer the possibility of a finer granularity of evaluation for the archives.
- Investigate the advisability of splitting the standard into two documents: certification criteria and procedures for auditors.
- Progress the document through the CCSDS and ISO process in parallel.
It was noted that these are not in sequential order. Point 2 should be restated as "ensure that the work item is recorded in ISO", in that we probably do not want to submit a Committee Draft yet.
Possible short term Work Items:
Based on the discussions last time, the availability of some of the key documents, and the goals, some short-term activities are as follows. However we should return to (1) and (3) when the other documents are available.
Robin Dale indicated that
- we should correct references to the "RLG/NARA" document. The new acronym for shorthand is TRAC, the official title is “Trustworthy Repositories Audit and Certification: Criteria & Checklist.” and it should be referred to using that name in future
- the document is hoped to be available by Tuesday 13th Feb
It was agreed that work can sensibly start on the following items, for each of which a Wiki page will be created and the named individuals will take responsibility for starting that work, but others should feel free to contribute also.
Any other points
Date/time of next meeting
- 4pm is a good time of day for the meeting for access from Europe and the USA
- Weekly meetings are needed in order to keep up the momentum
David has added table so that participants can indicate their availability on v arious days of the week. See DayChoiceMatrix
- 08 Feb 2007